The Inaugural Rocket Mortgage Classic PGA Tour Event coming to Detroit Golf Club has created quite the buzz this year. World’s #1 Golfer Dustin Johnson, Along with Rickie Fowler and Bubba Watson, are just a few of the stars you can expect to see.
The majority of the 156-player field for next week’s $7.3 million Rocket Mortgage Classic, the first PGA TOUR tournament to ever be held in Detroit, was finalized today. The 72-hole event will be played June 27-30 at the historic, Donald Ross-designed Detroit Golf Club, with the inaugural winner set to earn the $1,314,000 top prize and 500 FedExCup points.
The Rocket Mortgage Classic field features 76 PGA TOUR winners – including eight major champions and 15 golfers who have won during this 2018-19 PGA TOUR season. Ten players currently ranked within the top 30 of the current PGA TOUR FedExCup standings:
The field features 11 of the top 50 players in the Official World Golf Ranking, including:
- No. 2 Dustin Johnson – 2016 U.S. Open champion and 20-time PGA TOUR winner
- No. 12 Gary Woodland – 2019 U.S. Open winner
- No. 14 Rickie Fowler – Five-time PGA TOUR winner; 2015 THE PLAYERS champ
- No. 22 Bubba Watson – 2012 & 2014 Masters champion; 12-time PGA TOUR winner
- No. 25 Patrick Reed – 2018 Masters champion and six-time PGA TOUR winner
- No. 27 Kevin Kisner – 2019 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play champion
- No. 28 Hideki Matsuyama – Five-time PGA TOUR champ; 2017 WGC-HSBC winner
- No. 36 Cameron Smith – 2017 Zurich Classic winner
- No. 38 Billy Horschel – 2015 FedExCup champion
- No. 44 Brandt Snedeker – 2012 FedExCup champ, 2007 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year
- No. 48 Chez Reavie – 2008 RBC Canadian Open winner; T3 at the 2019 U.S. Open
Other notable players include:
- Ernie Els – World Golf Hall of Famer, 19-time PGA TOUR winner and four-time major champion (1994 and 1997 U.S. Open, 2002 and 2012 British Open). Els, a native of South Africa, has also won 47 times internationally and has played on eight Presidents Cup teams. In 1997, he tied for second in the Buick Open at Warwick Hills.
- Luke Donald – Former No. 1 player in the world
- Jason Dufner – 2013 PGA Championship winner
- J.B. Holmes – 2019 Genesis Open winner
- Charles Howell III – 2001 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year
- Billy Hurley III – 2016 Quicken Loans National winner
- Curtis Luck – 2016 U.S. Amateur champion (played at Oakland Hills CC)
- Keith Mitchell – 2019 Honda Classic winner
- Jimmy Walker – 2016 PGA Championship winner
- Mike Weir – Sponsor exemption; 2003 Masters champion
Players with local ties:
- Joey Garber – Born in Petoskey, Mich.
- Lee Houtteman – Michigan PGA section champion
- Brian Stuard – Born and raised in Jackson, Mich. Graduated from Napoleon High School in 2001. Played collegiately at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich.
The Rocket Mortgage Classic also awarded sponsor exemptions to three players who will make their second professional start on the PGA TOUR – 2019 Masters and 2019 U.S. Open low amateur Viktor Hovland (the world’s top-ranked amateur before turning pro earlier this week), 2019 NCAA Division I Individual champion Matthew Wolff and Zach Bauchou – and Justin Suh, the world’s No. 2-ranked amateur in May who is set to make his third pro start.
The final Rocket Mortgage Classic field, minus four Monday qualifiers and two Web.com TOUR qualifiers to be determined, is listed below:
Rocket Mortgage Classic Final Field (150 of 156 players)
An, Byeong Hun
Bauchou, Zach +
Houtteman, Lee #
Hovland, Viktor +
Howell III, Charles
Hurley III, Billy +
Kim, Si Woo
Potter, Jr., Ted
Rodríguez, José de Jesús
Suh, Justin +
Varner III, Harold
Weir, Mike +
Wolff, Matthew +
* Open Qualifier
+ Sponsor Exemption
# Section Champion