Flint, MI — November 17, 2023
Alex Grossman, award-winning filmmaker, stand-up comedian, and actor, brings the new film “That’s Funny” to life. Grossman, who was born in Flint, Michigan, created this movie about a middle-aged man who craves fame as a comedian to the point where he misses out on the beautiful moments life has to offer. That’s Funny, which was filmed throughout Michigan – in Flint, Hartwood Pines, Boyne City, and Charlevoix – also includes a large supporting cast with Michigan ties.
“That’s Funny” will be available on Amazon, Apple TV, Google Play, and VUDU beginning on Friday, November 17, 2023.
The film will premiere locally on the big screen at the Capitol Theatre in Flint, Michigan, on December 7, 2023, before opening at select theaters in Michigan for a one-night-only event. Screenings will include an audience introduction by director Alex Grossman as well as a Q&A following the film with Grossman.
“THAT’S FUNNY” Synopsis
From filmmaker Alex Grossman, “That’s Funny” centers around a middle-aged man so driven to realize his dream of becoming a comedian that he’s missing out on all the beautiful moments already before him. On his journey of transformation, he returns to the competitive world of stand-up comedy that takes him from Los Angeles to his hometown of Flint, Michigan. With humor and vulnerability, ultimately, both his act and perspective evolve as he realizes the present moment is the best place to be.
“That’s Funny” stars Grossman, who wrote and directed, and co-stars Ben Cain. The movie is distributed by Good Deed Entertainment.
About the Cast and Crew
Alex Grossman (Alex)
Born in Flint, Michigan, Grossman attended the University of Michigan, where he graduated with a B.A. in English. His writing career began in San Francisco, where he worked as an award-winning copywriter at shops like Butler, Shine & Stern, and Goodby, Silverstein & Partners. After a decade of creating award-winning work for brands like E*Trade, eBay, and Got Milk?, Grossman pivoted to commercial directing and made a name for himself in the comedy space, directing humorous work for brands including Dodge, Jollibee, and Jagermeister. He is also a stand-up comedian who’s performed gigs around the country at places like The World Famous Comedy Store and Stand-Up NY. Additionally, his first feature film, Hickey, which he wrote and directed, is a coming-of-age comedy that premiered at SXSW in 2016.
Ben Cain (Ben)
Ben is a native of Flint, Michigan, and has been a long-time friend of Grossman. He is known for his acting roles in the television series Cruel Summer, Bel-Air, and Animal Kingdom.
Nicole Forester (Erin)
Nicole is a native of Ann Arbor, Michigan. She is known for her roles in films like Jack Reacher, Batman vs Superman, Dawn of Justice, and television shows as Maggie Zajac in Boss and Christie in Chicago Fire.
Michael Ramsdell (Producer)
A native of Flint, Michigan, Ramsdell has produced films like When Elephants Fight, The Anatomy of Hate, Ukweli, and Montclair.
Stephen Smith (Cinematographer)
Stephen was born in Flint, Michigan, and has had a passion for art and technology since a young age. He attended Design School in New York and at the University of Michigan. Currently, Stephen works as a DP and Director. He owns Digital Alchemy Films.
The Red Carpet Premiere at the Capitol Theatre will include appearances by Flint natives and stars of the film Alex Grossman and Ben Cain. They will be joined by Mike Ramsdell (producer) and Stephen Smith (cinematographer), who were also native to Flint. The Q&A following the screening will be moderated by Martin Jennings, Grossman and Cain’s acting teacher from Flint Central High School. The historic 1,500-seat Capitol Theatre is located at 140 E. 2nd Street in Flint, Michigan.
Schedule of Screenings
- Thursday, December 7, 2023 – Capitol Theatre – Flint, Michigan, with Special Guests: Alex Grossman, Ben Cain, Mike Ramsdell, Stephen Smith, and Martin Jennings.
- Friday, December 8, 2023 – State Theater – Ann Arbor, Michigan, with Special Guests: Alex Grossman, Nicole Forester, and Jim Burnstein (University of Michigan Director of Screenwriting Program).
- Saturday, December 9, 2023 – MJR Cinema – Troy, Michigan, with Special Guests: Alex Grossman and Chuck Meehan (Detroit-based creative advertising director).
- Sunday, December 10, 2023 – Maple Art Theater – Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Special Guest: Alex Grossman.
- Monday, December 11, 2023 – Celebration Cinema! – Grand Rapids, Michigan. Special Guest: Alex Grossman.
- Tuesday, December 12, 2023 – Goodrich Kalamazoo – Kalamazoo, Michigan. Special Guest: Alex Grossman.
- Wednesday, December 13, 2023 – Farmington Civic Theater – Farmington, Michigan. Special Guest: Alex Grossman.
- Thursday, December 14, 2023 – Goodrich Holland 7 – Goodrich, Michigan. Special Guest: Alex Grossman.
To learn more and to purchase tickets, visit www.ThatsFunnyMovie.com.